Sunset Runner Bean Soup is a hearty, simple soup that will bring warmth to any occasion. Serve with hot cornbread or homemade biscuits for the perfect down-home meal!
Sunset Runner Bean Soup
- 2-3 cups SUNSET RUNNER BEANS
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 leek, cleaned and chopped
- 3 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 turnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 to 3 cans chicken or beef broth
- 1 Tbs. dried basil
- 2 Tbs. dried parsley or 3 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
- Pinch of sage
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- ½ cup dried pasta
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Rinse and pick over beans. In a large pot, pour three cups boiling water over beans, cover, and let sit for one hour. Drain, add fresh water to cover by one inch and simmer until tender, not mushy. Start checking doneness at 45 minutes. Drain cooked beans when reach desired doneness.
- 2. In a large pot, heat 2 Tbs. Olive Oil and add onion, celery, garlic, leek, carrots, turnips, mushrooms (if using), zucchini, and potatoes. Sauté all vegetables over low heat until wilted.
- 3. Add beans to the pot and 2 to 3 cans chicken or beef broth with enough water to cover the beans by an inch or so.
- 4. Add dried basil, parsley and a pinch of sage. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer and cook for 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- 5. Once beans are tender you can add cabbage and a handful of dried pasta and cook until pasta is tender. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Servings : 6-8
Our most common order size is 3 lbs, but did you know that shipping charges increase every 5 lbs? We suggest you purchase in 5 lbs increments to save on shipping. As you know beans, if kept in a cool dry place, last indefinitely so why not stock up on your favorites!