Rice Bean Stuffed Tomatoes is a warm, rustic dish of ripe tomatoes stuffed with our Rice Beans. The natural, bold flavors make for a delicious, Italian-inspired meal. Sprinkle with some shredded parmigiano-reggiano cheese and you have the perfect dish.
Rice Bean Stuffed Tomatoes
- 1 cup (½ lb.) RICE BEANS
- 8 medium to large tomatoes
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tsp. cumin seed
- 1 tsp. tumeric
- 4 Tbs. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- bread crumbs, unseasoned
- worcestershire sauce
- 1. Rinse and sort beans. Cover with 4 cups water and simmer, uncovered, until tender. Start checking for doneness at 30 minutes. Add water if necessary. Drain.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 3. Cut tops off tomatoes, scoop out pulp. Sauté onions in oil until transparent, then add garlic, beans, cumin, turmeric and salt and pepper (to taste). Continue cooking over low heat for 5 minutes then add cilantro and mix well. Spoon mixture into tomatoes and top each tomato with a little mustard, bread crumbs, dash of Worcestershire sauce and a dab of butter.
- 4. Bake 15 minutes in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven. Serve immediately. Great with steak or barbecued chicken.
- Servings : 6-8
Our most common order size is 3 lbs, but did you know that shipping charges increase every 5 lbs? We suggest you purchase in 5 lbs increments to save on shipping. As you know beans, if kept in a cool dry place, last indefinitely so why not stock up on your favorites!