A delicious, hearty medley of Pigeon Peas and rice. This quick & easy meal can be whipped up in no time for a healthy, satisfying meal that everyone can share.
Pigeon Peas and Rice
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 12 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup PIGEON PEAS, boiled until tender
- 1 tomato, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup rice
- 1. In skillet over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes, then remove bacon to cool before crumbling it. In the same skillet cook the chopped onion in the bacon fat until slightly translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 2. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine all ingredients except the rice, and bring to a boil.
- 3. Add rice, then turn down the heat and simmer until cooked, about 30 minutes.
Our most common order size is 3 lbs, but did you know that shipping charges increase every 5 lbs? We suggest you purchase in 5 lbs increments to save on shipping. As you know beans, if kept in a cool dry place, last indefinitely so why not stock up on your favorites!