Praise green black-eyed peas! These heirloom beans are immaculate when used in the Hallelujah Green Black-Eyed Pea Soup for a down-home taste and a quick & easy recipe that will make you smile.
Hallelujah Green Black-eyed Pea Soup
- 2 cups (1 lb.) cooked GREEN BLACKEYE BEANS
- 1 large or several small meaty ham hocks
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 or 3 celery stalks, chopped (optional)
- 2 or 3 carrots, cut into pieces (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1. Rinse and pick over beans. In a large pot cover beans with 2 inches water.
- 2. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 3. Drain, rinse and return the beans to pot and set aside.*
- 4. Cover ham hocks with water, add vegetables and garlic and simmer until tender, about 2 hours.
- 5. Remove ham hocks and cut meat from bone, slicing into bite size pieces. Return ham to pot and add beans. Cook uncovered for about 1 hour.
- 6. Taste, adding salt if desired. The mixture should be a thick soup consistency. Add water to thin, or mash beans to thicken.
- 7. Serve hot in bowls with cornbread.
- Servings : 8-10
Our most common order size is 3 lbs, but did you know that shipping charges increase every 5 lbs? We suggest you purchase in 5 lbs increments to save on shipping. As you know beans, if kept in a cool dry place, last indefinitely so why not stock up on your favorites!