Say that ten times fast. Eat it ten times faster! The Chicken, Hutterite Beans, Corn and Cheddar Chowder features our Hutterite Soup Heirloom Beans, creating a creamy and quick chowder recipe that warms from the inside out.
Chicken, Hutterite Beans, Corn and Cheddar Chowder
- 3 slices of bacon, chopped or drizzle of olive oil and a pat of butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 Tbs. flour
- 1 tsp. ground cumin or thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 to 2 small thin-skinned potatoes, diced (peeling optional)
- 2 cups cooked HUTTERITE BEANS
- 1 (12 oz.) can kernel corn or scraped kernels from 2 corn cobs
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- ½ cup Half & Half or whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1. In large saucepan, set over medium-high heat, cook the bacon (if using) until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain and cool, the crumble and set aside. If you are not using bacon, heat a drizzle of oil and pat of butter in the saucepan over medium heat.
- 2. Sauté the onion and celery in the bacon drippings (or oil and butter) for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the flour and cumin and cook, stirring, for another minute. Stir in the stock, potatoes, and beans and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- 3. Stir in the corn, chicken, and cream and allow the chowder to return to a gentle simmer. Add the cheese and stir just until it melts. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot, topped with the crumbled bacon, if using.
- Servings : 6
Our most common order size is 3 lbs, but did you know that shipping charges increase every 5 lbs? We suggest you purchase in 5 lbs increments to save on shipping. As you know beans, if kept in a cool dry place, last indefinitely so why not stock up on your favorites!