To save time, purchase already-made corn bread. Make sure your pan is really hot when you add the corn bread cubes to ensure they get a nice golden sear (but work fast so the butter doesn’t burn). Pass extra croutons at the table.
Cannellini Bean and Ham Soup with Corn Bread Croutons
- 4 thick-cut bacon slices
- 1/2 lb. cooked ham steak, cubed
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 30 oz. cannellini beans, precooked
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- FOR THE CORNBREAD CROUTONS:
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 small loaf corn bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1. Set a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Let the bacon cool, then crumble into bite-size pieces. Set aside in a bowl.
- 2. Add the ham to the pot and cook, stirring often, until browned, about 4 minutes. Add the ham to the bowl with the bacon.
- 3. Add the olive oil, onion, garlic and celery to the pot and sauté until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- 4. Puree half of the soup in a blender. Return the puree to the pot along with the ham and bacon and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5. To make the corn bread croutons, in a fry pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the corn bread cubes and cook, turning once, until they are golden brown on both sides.
- 6. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and serve immediately, topped with the croutons. Serves 4 to 6.
- Servings : 4-6
Our most common order size is 3 lbs, but did you know that shipping charges increase every 5 lbs? We suggest you purchase in 5 lbs increments to save on shipping. As you know beans, if kept in a cool dry place, last indefinitely so why not stock up on your favorites!