A cake baked with heirloom beans! Made with our Black Valentine Heirloom Beans, this treat is full of protein and fiber for a not-so-guilty pleasure! This decadent chocolate cake is rich with sweet flavor and crunch-satisfying pecans and walnuts. The Black Valentine Heirloom Bean Cake is the perfect dish to bring to a potluck dinner or to surprise your co-workers.
Black Valentine Heirloom Bean Cake
- Cook Time
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups cooked and pureed BLACK VALENTINE heirloom beans
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1. Place Black Valentine beans in a large pot covered by 2 inches of water, bring to a boil for 2 minutes, remove from the heat, cover and let sit for one hour… or pour boiling water over the beans to cover by 2 inches, cover and let sit for one hour. Drain and rinse. If not cooked to desired doneness cover with fresh cold water and bring to a boil, reduce heat and let the beans cook gently until soft so they will puree well.
- 2. Cream butter, eggs and vanilla together. Stir in bean puree and beat well.
- 3. Add all the dry ingredients and combine thoroughly. Fold in the chopped nuts and chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch cake pan and bake at 375°F for 45-50 minutes. Frost with your favorite icing.
Our most common order size is 3 lbs, but did you know that shipping charges increase every 5 lbs? We suggest you purchase in 5 lbs increments to save on shipping. As you know beans, if kept in a cool dry place, last indefinitely so why not stock up on your favorites!