Reminiscent of a foraged succotash, this recipe features our Painted Pony heirloom beans, bursting with warm, rustic flavors.
Painted Pony Wild Rice and Corn Salad
- ¾ cup cooked PAINTED PONY BEANS
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels, preferably fresh
- 1 cup finely chopped, peeled and seeded ripe tomato
- ½ jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 3 Tbs. honey mustard
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. finely minced fresh chives
- 1. Place the beans in a saucepan with water to cover a depth of 2 inches. Bring to a boil and simmer, partially covered, until the beans are tender about 1 hour if they have been soaked, about 1 ½ hours if they have not been soaked. Be sure the beans are covered with water at all times.
- 2. While the beans are cooling, place the wild rice in another saucepan, add 3 cups of water, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes. Cover the pan and se tit aside for 10 minutes.
- 3. Transfer the rice to a mixing bowl. Add the corn, tomatoes, jalapeno, and scallions. When the beans are done, drain and add them to the bowl.
- 4. Whisk together the honey mustard and vinegar, then whisk in the olive oil. Fold into the rice and bean mixture. Season to taste with salt. Allow the salad to marinate at room temperature for at least 1 hour. Fold I the chives and serve.
- Servings : 8
Our most common order size is 3 lbs, but did you know that shipping charges increase every 5 lbs? We suggest you purchase in 5 lbs increments to save on shipping. As you know beans, if kept in a cool dry place, last indefinitely so why not stock up on your favorites!